What is PRP?
Everyone knows platelets in your blood are the critical element used by the body to clot blood and begin the process of repairing a wound. But what if it were possible to take a person’s own blood, separate out the platelets and plasma so important to skin healing, and then re-inject the platelet-rich plasma back into the patient’s face to initiate the creation of new collagen and rejuvenate the skin?
It is possible with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatments at Stockton Dermatology in Phoenix, AZ.
How is platelet-rich plasma used for skin rejuvenation?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is the internal essence of your blood, containing fundamental protein growth factors. PRP has been used for years to speed the healing of joints, tendons, and muscle tissue in professional athletes. Now it can “heal” problems such as sun damage, acne scars and stretch marks, and the decreasing volume that is a part of normal aging.
PRP Injection Procedure
At Stockton Dermatology, we begin the PRP process by:
- Taking a small amount of blood from you, about the same amount used for a typical lab test.
- That blood is then placed in a centrifuge that spins at a high rate and separates the different components of the blood.
- Red and white blood cells are divided from the platelets and the plasma (the clear fluid that makes blood liquid).
- This plasma now contains a higher than the normal number of platelets (four times higher) and is called platelet-rich plasma.
- Next, calcium chloride is added to “activate” the PRP serum.
- When injected back into target areas of the face, this activated PRP serum triggers a wound response in the skin, where healing platelets create a rich fibrin mesh, initiating the production of new collagen (the skin’s basic support protein).
At Stockton Dermatology in Phoenix, AZ, we apply a topical anesthetic to the areas to be treated and then use our microneedling device, complete with its 11 tiny sterile needles, to inject the PRP back into the skin. The combination of the micro-wounds and the PRP creates a rich healing environment where the skin actively rebuilds itself.
Where can a PRP injection be used?
PRP can be used to return the volume to faces that are beginning to look drawn due to volume loss. It will:
- Plump out cheek indentations
- Soften under eye hollows
- Improve the skin tone, tightness, and texture.
- It is also effective for addressing fine lines, discoloration, acne scars, and stretch marks.
When will I see results?
Results begin to show themselves in three to four weeks as new collagen is added to the treatment areas, and these results continue to build for months. For the best results, we recommend three PRP treatments, spaced 1-2 months apart.
What happens after?
The entire PRP session takes only around 15 minutes and is relatively painless. There isn’t any recovery time, but there can be some slight redness and swelling at the treatment sites. This will pass in one to three days.
PRP Skin Rejuvenation Before & Afters