What are dermal fillers?
Some of our patients in Phoenix, AZ are not convinced that cosmetic surgery is for them. Even after seeing the results themselves, they prefer less invasive procedures that will help achieve the same results. Dermal fillers are the best solution for adding fullness to the face, adding volume to the lips, enhancing shallow contours in the face, and reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
The results that dermal fillers provide can be immediately appreciated and it is definitely more affordable than undergoing cosmetic surgical procedures. However, the treatments of dermal fillers do not offer permanent results and patients in Phoenix, AZ would have to come back for re-treatments if they want to maintain the results. Dermal fillers are usually done in combination with other cosmetic procedures since they cannot address certain skin problems like sagging skin.
Dermal fillers should only be done by licensed professionals. In our office in Phoenix, AZ, dermal fillers are administered on an outpatient basis. We often require our patients in Phoenix, AZ to submit to a skin test to check for any allergic reactions to the active ingredients of the dermal fillers that they receive. The dermal fillers will then be injected in small amounts until we are able to achieve the desired results.
See What Our Patients Are Saying…
‘Thanks so much to Dr. Stockton and all the staff! After 10 years and literally more than 100 visits and 2 melanomas, I’m still here to enjoy my 15 month old. See you next week for more biopsies – and maybe to try your new Signature skin care line.” -C.T.
What types of dermal fillers are popular in Phoenix, AZ?
Since dermal fillers were introduced in the US, different types of dermal filler have surfaced, each one addressing each and every beauty woe that a patient may have. Among all those, listed below are the most popular dermal fillers among our patients in Phoenix, AZ:
- Botox – this dermal filler has been widely used in cosmetic procedures and continues to be the number one choice of patients in Phoenix, AZ and in the US because of its time-tested effectiveness and flexibility of use. Botox is made from the botulinum toxin A that inhibits the movement of a muscle once it is introduced to the skin. Your surgeon will target the muscle that is responsible for creating the facial line or wrinkle and directly inject Botox into that muscle to stop any more facial movements. The effects of one Botox treatment usually lasts for about 4 to 6 months and patients would have to come in for touch-ups if they want to maintain the results.
- Juvederm – Juvederm is an injectable filler that was developed by the makers of Botox. This dermal filler is made from hyaluronic acid which naturally occurs in our body. Hyaluronic acid functions to maintain volume in parts of the body and is gradually depleted when we age. Juvederm brings back the lost hyaluronic acid and instantly adds volume. The effects of Juvederm are very natural looking and subtle. It works best for smoothing lines and wrinkles, lip enhancement, restoring volume to the cheeks, and improving the definition of the jaw line. The effects of Juvederm may last for almost a year. Learn more about Juvederm.
- Voluma – The only FDA-approved filler to correct age-related volume loss in the mid face. This creates a smoother contour and more youthful appearance. It instantly provides a smooth, natural-looking lift for the mid face that can last 18 – 24 months with optimal treatment. Dr. Stockton is one of the first in the valley to offer this treatment.
- Vollure – Vollure reduces wrinkles and nasolabial folds in the face.
- Volbella – Volbella is an FDA-approved filler that adds fullness to the lips and reduces wrinkles around the mouth. The filler is a smooth gel that creates a more natural look.
How do I know which Juvéderm filler is right for me?
The original Juvéderm filler was approved by the FDA in 2006. Juvéderm, along with Restylane, were the original dermal fillers. Since that time, the Juvéderm line has been expanded to target different areas of the face. For instance, Voluma was developed specifically for returning volume to the cheeks. Volbella was created to add subtle volume to the lips. But you don’t need to be a Juvéderm expert. That’s our job at Stockton Dermatology. When we see you during your initial consultation, you’ll describe the issues you’d like to address with your facial aging. From there, we then discuss the various Juvéderm fillers that could be right for what you want to address. As mentioned above, they has extensive training with all of the Juvéderm fillers. Once they knows the areas you want to address, they will pair you with the perfect Juvéderm filler.
What should I expect during a dermal filler session?
At Stockton Dermatology, our Master Injector, handles these treatments. He has extensive training and experience with all our Juvéderm fillers.
Having an area of volume loss filled with a Juvéderm filler is simple and takes just 15-30 minutes. For most patients at Stockton Dermatology, we apply topical numbing cream prior to your injections to alleviate any discomfort, so you need to allow 30 minutes or so for that to take effect.
How long can I expect the results from my dermal filler injections to last?
Different Juvéderm fillers have different durations for their results. Much of this is due to facial movement. The more an area moves, the shorter the duration of the results from the filler injections. That’s because the movement tends to break down the hyaluronic acid more quickly. Here’s a breakdown of what you can expect for results from the various Juvéderm fillers: · Juvéderm, Juvéderm Vollure, and Juvéderm Volbella all provide results lasting between 9 and 12 months. · Juvéderm Voluma is the longest-lasting hyaluronic acid filler, restoring cheek volume for up to two years.
Will the results from dermal fillers look natural?
Juvéderm fillers return volume by way of their hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid hydrates and plumps the skin naturally in the body. When these fillers are injected beneath a line or wrinkle, or into an area where there has been volume loss, the hyaluronic acid instantly binds with nearby water molecules and fills the area. Hyaluronic acid does this effectively because it can bind with 1000 times its weight in water. This is just the same as how hyaluronic acid works naturally in the skin. For that reason, your results look completely natural.
What should I avoid doing after receiving dermal filler injections?
For the first 24 hours, you should refrain from massaging or rubbing the injection sites. This can move the Juvéderm filler away from where it is intended. Also, you should avoid situations with high temperatures for 24 hours. These would include saunas and hot tubs. You should also avoid the sun for the first day.
Are there any potential side effects with dermal fillers?
At Stockton Dermatology, we only offer “natural” dermal fillers from the Juvéderm family of fillers. These are deemed to be “natural” because they are made primarily from hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the human body that is responsible for hydrating, plumping, and firming the skin. Because hyaluronic acid is common in the body already, reactions to these dermal fillers are almost unheard of.
The typical aftereffects are slight redness and possible bruising at the injection sites, just as is true with any injection. You may have some slight swelling as well. All of this passes usually within the first day or so.
One nice extra benefit of hyaluronic acid fillers, such as the entire Juvéderm line, is that if the patient isn’t pleased with her results, we can inject an enzyme, hyaluronidase, into the site and it instantly neutralizes the hyaluronic acid and negates its effects. This can also be done if a lump forms after an injection, which is rare, but possible.