Skin care during winter is more than just layering on clothes to keep you warm. You’re probably familiar with how the colder months could make your skin appear dry and flaky due to lack of moisture. Not to mention the continuous irritation, chafing, and cracked skin appearance. Here at our Phoenix dermatology practice, we make it a point to educate our clients on proper skin care the whole year round!
Do’s and Don’ts of Winter Skin Care
During the colder months, we suggest the following do’s and don’ts:
1. Do frequently moisturize. As mentioned earlier, colder temperatures tend to make your skin dry and irritated hence the need to hydrate it as often as you can.
2. Do wear gloves. Your hands are prone to eczema during winter months and your nails could end up brittle-looking, too.
3. Do choose lukewarm water over hot showers. Hot water, particularly with prolonged showers, could actually strip the skin off its natural moisture.
4. Do not stop your sunscreen use. Most people tend to quit using sunscreen during winter as the sun is not as visible during this time. Keep in mind, however, that ultraviolet radiation is still strong around this time.
5. Do not forget the lips when it comes to moisturizing. When choosing lip moisturizers, consider choosing the ones with SPF protection.
Finding a Qualified Dermatologist in Phoenix During Winter
Here at our Phoenix dermatology practice, our resident dermatologic surgeon Dr. Toni Stockton is an expert in a wide variety of skin conditions — from monitoring moles, treating skin cancer, eczema, and psoriasis to using dermal fillers, lasers, and radiofrequency to rejuvenate our aging skin.
Get in touch with us today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Stockton! Call us at 480-610-6366 or fill out this contact form. We look forward to your visit!